Chief Medical Officer
Chesapeake Regional Healthcare
Kirby Bates Associates has been exclusively retained by Chesapeake Regional Healthcare (CRH) to conduct their search for a Chief Medical Officer.
CRH is a community health system comprised of a 330-bed hospital, a cancer center, a breast center, two ambulatory surgery centers, fitness center, a home health and hospice program, and a physician’s practice group serving the Hampton Roads region of southeastern Virginia. CRH has approximately 2400 employees and 800 medical staff and is governed by the Chesapeake Hospital Authority, an autonomous organization founded by the Virginia General Assembly which is made up of 11 members appointed by the Chesapeake City Council. CRH has recently made significant strategic investments to expand neurology, cardiac, and surgical capabilities along with expansions of the cancer treatment center and the obstetrical service, which has 3000 births per year.
Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer, the Chief Medical Officer (CMO) is a vital executive leadership position responsible for overseeing and ensuring the quality and safety of medical services provided across CRH. The CMO provides leadership to all employed and contractual professional providers to ensure compliance with CRH policies and procedures, Joint Commission Standards, as well as other accrediting and regulatory organizations. The CMO will serve as a champion for patient care, driving initiatives to enhance quality, improve patient outcomes, implement evidence-based clinical protocols, and maintain regulatory compliance. The CMO partners with the medical staff, management team, and nursing leadership to facilitate teamwork and shared goals with a focus on excellent short- and long-term performance in clinical, service, and financial outcomes.
- Oversee a growing medical staff as well as quality/patient safety, care management, infection control, risk management, and medical staff office teams.
- Lead the transition from community health to a tertiary center and help develop and implement open heart and trauma capabilities.
- Collaborate with nursing leadership to drive quality initiatives.
- A medical degree (MD or DO) from an accredited institution is required. Additional qualifications such as a master’s degree in business, healthcare administration, public health, or a related field are preferred. Board certification in a medical specialty is strongly preferred.
- Demonstrated experience in a leadership role within a complex healthcare organization, preferably as a Chief Medical Officer, Medical Director, or similar position required.
- Demonstrated leadership abilities, including the capacity to inspire and motivate others, foster teamwork, and drive change as well as collaborate effectively with diverse stakeholders and build strong relationships.
- Proven ability to develop and implement effective quality improvement initiatives, with a track record of achieving measurable outcomes.
- Expertise in healthcare informatics, electronic health records (EHRs), and data analytics tools is desirable.
To learn more about this exciting opportunity, please contact:
Senior Executive Recruiter
Executive Search Services
|Dennis Kain, MHA, FACHE
Senior Vice President
Executive Search Services
Kirby Bates Associates is an EEO/AA Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity and expression, national origin, age, disability or protected veteran status. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all of our associates.